Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Watched The Aviator yesterday. It was released here the day after they announced that this film got 11 oscar nominations. So I anticipated a huge turnout for the first show and went there 3 hours in advance. But I was wrong. Not only did I get the tickets comfortably, I even got the seat I wanted :) (And the hall was almost empty!! )

The movie was well-made. I liked it a lot. I had read about Howard Hughes earlier on and I had a picture in my mind of him as this driven, crazy millionaire guy. This movie however, brought those facets of this man much better than I had imagined and in a much more sensitive way. And throughout the movie, the director maintains this unflinching focus on the protagonist, relegating everything else to the background. Leornado Di Caprio has done an awesome job and has come a long way as an actor. Cate Blanchett has given a wonderful performance as Kate Hepburn.

On the whole, this film has the grandeur and the sensitivity to make it a classic in its own right.

No comments: