Sunday, May 01, 2005

Firstly, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Smokin Joes for having catered to my craving for pizzas on weekdays. You guys did an impeccable job of delivery-to-home, when i had no option for alternative dinner.

Having said that, while i appreciate your service...I think your actual product..namely the pizza, has lots of scope for improvement. True, you charge less...for less. But i dont belong to that category, as far as pizzas are concerned.

Home delivery by Pizza corner was discovered by me last week. I have therefore changed my service provider...and am a more satisfied customer. Product wise, there is a 100% improvement. Service wise, about a 30% improvement. But the corresponding Price increase in only about 40%. And that's not a bad deal :) I think variety is something PC can work on a bit more.



And now...more useless reading for people who have nothing better to do....

Personally, I've got nothing against rickshawallas. Its just that, when they overcharge me for a ride...I can't meekly accept it and I sure dont want to waste my time and energy arguing over the right fare. So the following discussion, is intended for people like me who believe in the saying...Dont get mean, Get even.

I have a theory, based on which I firmly believe you can outsmart any overcharging taxi/rickshaw guy 8 times out of 10. ( a little improvisation could make that 10 on 10)

My theory is as follows:

" The Extra amount charged over and above the correct fare is inversely proportional to the distance travelled"

So typically, it is seen that for short distances, the taxi guy tends to overcharge. But for longer distances, his fare tends to come closer to the actual. This is an empirical observation, not just for Taxis but almost for any service.

I decided to test this theory. I wanted to go to destination A (actual fare Rs.10).
I know that destination B( which is further from A ) has an actual fare of Rs.15

I walk upto the rickshaw guy and ask him if he would take me to destination B and what his fare will be. He says Rs. 15 (he has not overcharged, as it is a far destination and has charged the correct amount)

Then I ask him, what he charges for destination A. He cant say Rs. 15 again. So he was forced to say the right fare of Rs.10.

Assumption: You know the actual fares to different destinations.

So the idea is to work backward on the fares.

In short, no meek acceptance, no arguments...just plain intelligence.....(moderate pause)....BU-HA-HA-HA!

Happy May Day :)

4 comments:

Accenture said...

u must check out this blog, Her imagination is amazing

http://girlwithbigeyes.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

alex u r the man.....well done...i couldnt have been prouder of u....:)))

Alex Joseph said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alex Joseph said...

I dont know what for really..but...Dank you... :)

btw, who is dis??